CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Speaking of...

Let me tell you about another strange (but not so rare) event that I encountered a couple of days ago in Kingsley at the Subway. I was there with a colleague whom I consider to be of average intelligence probably above average ability. This colleague of mine really put my head in a spin when she ordered her ham and cheese on Italian bread. That doesn't sound so bad does it. It's not what she ordered, it's how she said the word Italian. She said it like this, "Eye-talian." I thought to myself, "That sounds very ignorant," but not exactly with those words.

So let me continue by saying that I often hear people saying Italian like that up here in Northern Michigan and it's time to put a stop to it. See the article below for some other common mispronunciations that get people's goats:

Say What? Common Mispronunciations that Get My Goat


I just have to add that I was in Baked Beans last week, our own cute little coffee shop and tanning salon (odd mix?) in Lake City and saw that the specials included pinnini. I just want to clarify, we have until summer to get it straight so the tourists don't think we are a bunch of rubes up here, the word is panino single and panini plural. Americans commonly use the plural form, I've grown to accept that, but please note the use of the letter A instead of I following the P. But, hey, all complaining aside, it is a good place to stop in and get a cup of Joe. They do host Good Morning Lake City on the third Friday of each month. Just stop in and ask them about it.

0 comments: